Memories, section 8 …                                        

For Memories, section 1, click here, section 2, click here, section 3, click here, section 4, click here, section 5, click here, section 6, click here , section 7, click here, section 9, click here, section 10, click here and section 11, click here.

The Market Diner lives on …                                      

Many of us remember with affection the Market Diner on 12th Avenue at 52nd Street in New York  — a first port of call for those on shore leave (right).  Well, the Diner is alive and well today!

Derek Lewis has contacted the website to tell us “I visited New York to see old sights and found that the Diner is now on 11th Avenue between 43rd and 44th Streets.”

When we asked for photographs taken in the Diner, the image top right was the first to appear.  It shows Eric Fear having an after-work drink with friend Martin Simpson who, by coincidence,  have recently met again after 51 years (see below).

Roberta Miller sent in the  second photograph of her and Terry in the diner with friends.  “Unfortunately”, she tell us, “time has erased their names.  We don’t know who they all are! Maybe somebody can identify them.”  Do you know?

If you have any photographs taken in the diner, please send them to the webmaster.

Click here for a link to images of the Market Diner on 11th Avenue and in the 1950s/60s.

Terry Miller (third from let) and Roberta (far right)

Eric Fear and Martin Simpson reunite …










he Market Diner lives

This website is always pleased to hear about Furness Bermuda Line colleagues reuniting. 

Eric Fear contacted us to say “Martin Simpson and I, with our wives, have recently met for the first time since he and I were paid-off Queen of Bermuda in Falmouth in December 1960.”

“It was just as if the last 51 years had never existed and we carried on where we had left off all those years ago. The four of us spent a great night with a meal, a few drinks and, of course, many hours of catching up on old times.  We now communicate regularly on Skype and telephone and plan to meet up again later this year.”

“Had it not been for your good work on the website, we would probably not have seen each other again. Thank you.”

Eric and Martin in the Market Diner (left) and 51 years on (above)

Photographs: Eric Fear

We have received news that Jim Baston (right), former Chief Officer, Queen of Bermuda is alive and well and living in the United States.

His son, Michael Baston, gave us the news and said, “I am writing to let you that Captain James W Baston is alive and well.  Your website reported that he had died and he had quite a laugh about that.”

“He is in pretty good shape, sharp as a razor and has some great stories to tell  -  he would love to hear from some of his old shipmates.” 




Jim Baston is alive and well ...









he Market Diner lives

Former Chief Officer, Jim Baston in November 2010

“My father has six children (two boys and four girls) and fourteen grandchildren, who all adore him.  We all live fairly close to each other and often get together.  Unfortunately we lost our mother Elizabeth Ann Baston two years ago to a stroke.

He is living in New Jersey and is still very good friends with Sidney (left with Jim) and Pamela Vass.”

Please email the webmaster for Jim’s contact details.

Jim Baston (right) with Sid Vass

We are grateful to Michael Baston for permission to use these photographs and apologise, most sincerely, to him, Jim and family for our earlier announcement.

Lyndon Cooper remembers ...









he Market Diner lives

Lyndon Cooper (left) a former navigating cadet contacted the website with this fine set of photographs from his days with Furness Bermuda Line.

Lyndon tells us, “I Joined Furness as a deck cadet from the Warsash School of Navigation in 1963 and stayed with them serving through their fleets and Furness Ship Management as a Junior Officer until 1971. After service with a subsidiary of Everards, I obtained my Master Mariner Certificate in 1976. At the age of 50, I finally came ashore and bought a small holding in North Wales. During my periods at sea, I was a List One Royal Naval Reserve Officer and spent a great deal of time with the Royal Navy leaving as a Lieutenant Commander, awarded the RD and Bar.”

“I am in regular contact with former shipmates and maintain a great interest in marine matters, including the Warsash Association, I am also a Freeman of the Honorable Company of Master Mariners.  I hope you enjoy my pictures.”

Martin Greenwood (left) with the late Michael Dolding. Below left, Brian Hoare on the bridge of Queen of Bermuda in New York, (below right) a recent photograph of Brian when we sailed together on P & O’s  Arcadia.”


Lyndon as a cadet on Queen of Bermuda

Lyndon also sent us a great photograph of a Master at Arms on his rounds of Queen of Bermuda during foul weather.

To view this photograph, please go to  Archives 4

Still flying the flag ...









he Market Diner lives

Ernie Barrow (above), a resident of the United States and former manager of the victorious Ocean Monarch ‘Red Devils’ football team in the 1960s, still supports England, this time in their unsuccessful bid to win the recent European Cup.

Photographs: Ernie Barrow collection

For Memories, section 1, click here, section 2, click here, section 3, click here, section 4, click here, section 5, click here, section 6, click here , section 7, click here, section 9, click here, section 10, click here and section 11, click here.

Les Walmsley, his daughter remembers ...









he Market Diner lives

Sue Campbell (right), recently came across two photographs of her father, Les Walmsley (left)  -  see the appeal in Can You Help? 

As Les joined Queen Mary after leaving Queen of Bermuda, we suspect the group (below right) is from that ship.  However, if you recognise any of the faces, please let us know.

Sue is also interested to know if you can recognise the chap with Les in the image on the left.


Photographs: Sue Campbell collection

Les Walmsley (left) and friend

Mr ‘Fix-it’ is found in Florida ….









he Market Diner lives

Those of us who knew Chris and Marai Yaw in the 1960s were delighted when contact was made with them again.  Chris was the indestructible Landing Agent for Furness Bermuda Line and, because of his ability to organise anything, he became known affectionately as Mr ‘Fit-it’.


Chris tells us his story.  Do you remember the final goodbye of Queen of Bermuda on her last voyage from New York to the UK?”.  “Despite the parties, most people were quiet, some crying openly.    My wife Marai and I were guests of Captain Ian Saunders.  There was a piper playing outside his stateroom. Captain Musson gave the order “Stations for Sea.”  As landing agent, I was the last to leave the ship.  I said goodbye to the Pursers’ Office, thinking I’d never see them again.  Tugs pulled the vessel to the center of the Hudson River and she slowly sailed down the river to the sea and home.  A few of us stayed on the pier, watching until the Queen disappeared from view.  Slowly we walked to the gates immersed in our memories.  It was the end of an era.”

“After time with Furness and NYK in New York came an unexpected call from Charlie Curran, Pier Superintendant of Pier 95, North River.  “Was I interested in becoming the Cunard Pier Superintendant for Customs, Immigration, Public Health and Baggage?  YOU BET!  My duties included the change of a crew of 300 every 3 months and 700 once a year.  I travelled down the Hudson with the pilot boat to board the QE2 and work with government officials as the ship approached her berth.  I solved problems for both the crew and passengers.  Marai and I made several trips to England ourselves.  It was a good time.”

“After 6 years, bad news again.  QE2 went out of commission. The Cunard Building downtown closed and we moved to a boring office on Fifth Avenue.  Rescue came from a friend, part-owner and lawyer for a unit of condominiums and new marina in Melbourne, Florida. 


I resigned from Cunard, bought into the new company, and moved to Florida as Dock Master of the marina.  Business was good (as long as boats had to stop for a bridge to open to let rush hour traffic over the Inland Waterway).  When a new high bridge was built, it was time to move again. 


Luckily we sold our shares.  I became a part-time Customs Officer at Port Canaveral and joined Brevard County as a park ranger, managing to juggle time to keep both jobs. US Customs and Brevard County are still going strong, despite my help.


In 2001, I was hospitalized for over 4 months and was not expected to live, but I survived and recovered my health.  Marai and I moved to Penney Farms Retirement Community near Green Cove Springs, Florida.   I am a police volunteer for Clay County, spending 4 hours a week on patrol.  My wife and I volunteer in the community running The Bad Penney Band, (above) and I’m a singer (top left).  Marai writes the programs and directs the show. 


We live in an independent unit with our dog Maya, a retired greyhound and therapy dog in the community.  Our son lives in Asheville, NC, with his family.”

The Bad Penney Band  -  Chris and Marai are circled.

Marai and Chris on their wedding day in New York (above).  The two young men on the right are assistant pursers Dave Harris and Ray Gleave (front).

Editor: Sadly, Eric passed away on Tuesday 18 November 2014 after a long  illness.